Thursday, June 18, 2009

on Christian dating

I read over the lessons for the teenage group for camp this year that Bro. Joe from Liberty sent. I personally want to know why we didn't have this when I was a teenager! What a difference in our young Christians' lives these lessons can make. If only they will seriously take these lessons to heart. Our youths' lives are constantly being affected by magazines, videos, television, movies and more than anything...their peers!

I remember being told, "just don't do it." While for some, that's enough said. Others are thinking, "I want to find out why I shouldn't do it." I was raised up in church and can not remember there ever being a time when anyone even discussed this issue among the teenagers.

Why did it take so long? Why didn't our parents and leaders in our churches see the need for it then as we do now? I know that our youth faces many more challenges today than we did then, but the temptations are not new. We had the same attractions, desires, thoughts as they do now. How many of us could have benefited by this material? I know I could have.

I would personally like to see this taught on a regular basis for a period of time so it can sink in. I would also like for a woman to write lessons for the girls, because you know some things a man (no disrespect intended) just can't relate to. The same applies for the opposite.

In reading these lessons Bro. Brown sent, I guess I might need to buy some new clothes. It seems I shouldn't wear my skirts that show my knees anymore, some of the shirts I have and my pants that are low-risers (which I love because they are so comfortable). It seems I need to dress from my neck to my ankle then I'll have it all covered. I do understand what point he's making here. It is a good guideline for young ladies.

I also pointed out to Joe the scripture where he's supposed to ravish in my love or something like that. I'll have to get that out again. He didn't say much.

Have a good time at camp! God bless yall and I wish I could be there. Joe is going to cook so there will be more for the men since he won't have to share with his wife!

1 comment:

JamesCharles said...

I don't know for sure, but I've been told my older preachers that there was very little emphasis on the youth during their time. They say that "youth ministry" was a foreign concept unheard of.

I'd like to venture another guess. Perhaps back then, there were more families in church. Perhaps churches expected families to teach their children these things properly, and the parents failed.

Now, the churches of God have realized that we deal with 70-95% of students from broken homes, homes where parents don't care, and students whose parents aren't in church. What used to be the parents' job has now been forced upon the church.


Think about it, if all parents lived godly and raised their children in the nurture and admonition of the LORD, they would have discussed these things with them as needed.


One more guess. Perhaps it wasn't as big an issue back then. As a child, how many of your friends said they had sex and were open about it? I know when I graduated in 2003, I only knew 3 people out of a class of 200 who openly admitted to being virgins and planning on waiting until marriage, myself being #4 (and only me because I was a preacher and knew I couldn't ruin my testimony as a preacher over a girl).


As to you would like to see it taught on a regular basis, I'd like to say that it IS in other churches. Maybe not in your church, but it is a common discussion in our classes here at Calvary. We also teach our girls to wear knee length when they wear something that might show off legs. Usually, however, they wear loose fitting clothing that is ankle length. Concerning tops, we also discourage tight clothing or low-cut neck lines, but this is taking more time to convince them.

As to guys, similar things apply. They wear pants to church, and if they wear shorts anywhere, they are to make sure they are knee length. Also, a rule for guys and girls, no sleeveless shirts.

This are our rules for camp as well.