Saturday, November 29, 2008

ON MARRIAGE

Some time ago, I was up in my attic. I opened the box that contained my beautiful, white lace wedding gown. I just looked at it with tears in my eyes and thought, "what in the world was I thinking?"

Nineteen years have passed since I wore that dress. Years of struggling, enduring, moving, and crying. Then there have been years of laughter, joy, experiencing new challenges, and the happiest time of all...giving birth to my daughter.

As the "wife" I'm supposed to be the "submissive" one. I, for one, am a professional at it by now. To "submit" means to commit to the discretion or decision of another or of others, yield, surrender. We are to be "subject" to our husband which means; under the power or rule of another. Don't like it? Well, you can thank Eve. Of course we all know it would never have worked if the husband was commanded to be the submissive one, his ego would never allow it. God knew the wife would sacrifice, would not be selfish, and love her husband with all she had. Now, I'm not foolish enough to believe that all wives are as good as I am. I know there are many that have abandoned this rule.

For the husbands, remember it makes it a lot easier for us to be submissive when we do feel that we are loved, we are cared for, and sometimes, just sometimes, put our needs ahead of yours. I know there are many wonderful husbands out there. Some call their wife "beautiful" (yeah, I know....but they are out there), mine reminds me to keep using my anti-wrinkle cream that I purchased last year (see post on turning 40). Some tell their wife she looks like she hasn't gained an ounce...mine tells me to put the cookie down or I'll gain back that weight I worked so hard to lose (see post on turning 40).

So when you're saying "honey, what would you like for dinner tonight?" but really thinking...."how much is that life insurance policy worth?"...you're not alone.

I hope and pray that your marriage is all that you want it to be, but most importantly, what God wants it to be. I know it's difficult, it's been difficult for me, but rely on God. When your man here fails you, remember there is one that won't. Put your faith and trust in Him that your marriage will endure. Pray for your husband to be the husband God wants him to be and pray that you'll be the wife you should be. God bless you and your marriage.







3 comments:

tracey said...

Take that off about hicks in farmerville, that's not very nice!
19 years is a long time!! Good Job!
Poor JOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love,
Tracey

Mike Wilkes said...

Concerning the comment about the husbands putting our wives' needs before our own. We do it all the time. Here are just a few examples...
1. My wife needs to wash the clothes cause I need something to wear.
2. My wife needs to cook cause I need something to eat.
3. My wife needs to tend to the kids cause I need to go hunting.

Just kidding ladies. Good post Julie.

JamesCharles said...

Brother Mike... does your wife NEED to wash the clothes before you wear them or after you wear them?