Tuesday, March 17, 2009

on explanation of "healing of the nations"

This scripture was posted on Bro. Adrian Neal's blog. Several explanations of what the " healing of the nations" were posted. This phrase in the scripture has long been questioned in regards to why there is a need for healing in heaven.

After reading these explanations and hearing others', I determined that the word "healing" here must mean something other than "curing."

The word "healing" here comes from the Greek word "therapon" meaning "servant of God." The word "therapeuo" comes from this word which means "to serve or do service." Then the word is changed to "therapeia" which means "service rendered by one to another, body of attendants; servants." The word "therapon" translates to the same word "servant" as used in Hebrews 3:5 describing Moses. Now knowing this, we see that the leaves were for all the "servants" of God, which brought me to this question, " What do the leaves represent?"

There are thousands of leaves on a tree. The leaves represent the many acts of service by the servants. What tree bears fruit before it bears its leaves? None. Another question, "what does the fruit mean?"

In scriptures, fruit usually signifies what we bear spiritually. The fruit ever yielding here signifies that our service is going to last for eternity. What trees here bear fruit continually? None. There is a time when there are no leaves, therefore no fruit. This is another reason why I determined that this tree represents service. What does the next verse say?

Revelations 22:3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it: and his servants shall serve him:

When are we going to stop serving God? Never.


I believe we can all agree that this explanation is more relative than other explanations. For if you take into consideration the next verses in this chapter, it "fits" with the context. I welcome any comments on this by my brothers or sisters.

I enjoy reading my brethren's posts, I have learned very much. I have also learned to study verses for myself. I am hoping that this post will encourage other sisters to study for themselves as well and not just take the men's word for it! No disrespect intended men, just trying to encourage the women to study like all of you do.



4 comments:

JamesCharles said...

I'd like to open by stating I don't know the correct answer to this for sure. I have a few answers that may possibly fit, and one I lean towards, but nothing so concrete I'd stand upon it. With that out of the way, the only question I have to your answer is this...

Does the explanation make sense when using the parallel scripture concerning (seemingly) the same tree in Ezekiel? The Greek word was translated healing for a reason, and I'd be very slow to suppose it means something completely different. God preserved His words to us (Ps 12:6-7) and I believe 100% the KJV has all those breathed/inspired words (2 Tim 3:16). Anyway, does the same definition apply to the Hebrew word for medicine in this following parallel passage?

Eze 47:12 And by the river upon the bank thereof, on this side and on that side, shall grow all trees for meat, whose leaf shall not fade, neither shall the fruit thereof be consumed: it shall bring forth new fruit according to his months, because their waters they issued out of the sanctuary: and the fruit thereof shall be for meat, and the leaf thereof for medicine.

Medicine is from the following.
H8644
תּרוּפה
terûphâh
ter-oo-faw'
From H7322 in the sense of its congener H7495; a remedy: - medicine.

The Greek Word you mentioned is the same phrase we get "therapeutic" from.

I'll give what I found about it in a lexicon or two.
"θεραπεία
therapeia
attendance (specifically medical, that is, cure); figuratively and collectively domestics: - healing, household."
"1) service rendered by one to another
2) spec. medical service: curing, healing
3) household service
3a) body of attendants, servants, domestics"

All of these seem to carry a medical sense of help. Notice these aren't the same as the greek word we get deacon from which means servant. Also, a root word may add clarity of how the word came to have its meaning, but rarely does it change the meaning (if ever).

Finally, it is the tree of life, which also was located in the garden eastward in Eden. I don't know that the tree has to "symbolize" anything. It is quite possible, I just wouldn't be able to nail it down. If it has a different time for producing leaves and fruit, it is due to its uniqueness.

Julie Halliday said...

I ask you to read the rest of the chapter and note some of the verses I've posted here. Look at how many pertain to “SERVICE.”

Also, note Revelation 22:14. Who will have a right to the tree of life? Those who have kept the commandments, in other words those who've been faithful in serving Him.


Revelation 22:3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:

Revelation 22:6 And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.
Revelation 22:7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

Revelation 22:9 Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.

Revelation 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

JamesCharles said...

I understand much of the chapter and context deals with service, and you did good to notice this. It will give you a clearer understanding of the chapter as a whole.

As to the understanding of a word, however, one of the very first things we are taught in Greek class at seminary is that we should NEVER choose a word in translation that contradicts the word already used. We can perhaps get a clearer understanding by knowing how the word came to mean what it does, but we can not pick a new word that changes the meaning. Changing from "healing" to "serving" or "service" would be an altogether different understanding. It would be a mistake modern translators of new translations make.

For example, a Greek word in 2 Timothy 2:15 can be translated two ways, but they have two different meanings. The KJV states you should "study" to show yourself approved unto God. This is the proper translation, and God's word.

Another possible translation of the same word, however, is "Be diligent" to present show yourself approved unto God. This is the translation modern translators and the NKJV translators chose. You see how it changes the meaning? Just because a Greek word has multiple possible translations doesn't mean they all fit.

You should therefore not change "Healing" to "service", for these are two different meanings. What you can do, however, is gain a fuller understanding of the word healing, from knowing the word carries with it not only a sense of getting better, but it carries the idea that someone is helping you get better. A service of healing. That is what we gain from the Greek, a fuller understanding, not a new understanding. Make sense?

Julie Halliday said...

Yes it does make sense to me. I understand what you are saying. It's just that when I used my program and looked up the word "healing" in this scripture, its definition was service. So, I didn't feel like I had translated it, just discovered what it meant here. Also I had looked up the word "healing" in several other scriptures where Jesus was healing and it gave the same definition, but others gave the definition of "a curing, or medicine." So that's why I came to the conclusion that I did.

Oh well, I tried! :)
Thanks for your help.