Thursday, February 11, 2010

on being a man....

I was talking to Joe about how my assistant that quit wants me to mail his check to him. For whatever reason he doesn't want to come in and pick it up.

I don't understand how this man cannot face me. I'm not going to shoot him or curse him. I'm not going to start a fight in the middle of my store. I may ask him a few questions, but that's it.

During this conversation, I brought up the fact that he must not be much of a man since he has a problem with confronting me. Joe stated that there are times when men just want to avoid confrontation. I understand that, but what I don't understand is why he doesn't in this situation. It's not a battlefield, it's a business. He knows how professional I am, and really I am in these particular situations.

Also, a few days after my assistant quit, Joe saw him at a store. Joe said nothing to him. I asked him why he didn't say anything. You know, stand up for me. Because he had quit, I was at work from 6:00am til 9:30 pm that day, and Sunday from 7:30 am til 9:30 pm. So you can imagine how hurt I was that Joe didn't say anything. I told him that he should have said something. I guess in this situation, he wanted to avoid a confrontation.

So, why is it that when it is something that is important to a man they have no problem with confrontation, but when it involves their wife, they do. I don't get it.

Now you know, stand up for your wife, defend her. It will mean so much to her, you may never know it, but it does.

4 comments:

bromicah@cbc said...

First of all let me say that I'm sorry your guy quit and left you in a bind. I know that you are doing a good job but it's never fun when one person has to do the job of two or more people.

Julie (my wife) works for a school district in a leadership position. She deals with men some and she is in authority over them therefor they don't like it most of the time. Often times when she gets home I listen as she goes on about men who have done her wrong and made her day aweful. How they look down on her and make her job miserable from time to time. She double times often in her duties because she can't get a specific man to do his job.

Now with that in mind. I DONT LIKE IT! I despise men treating my wife like she's less of a person than them and I can't stand when they put her in a bad mood because they won't take her instruction. When she first started talkin to me about these problems I wanted to go up there and "straighten" them out. When Julie realized it was making me mad she stopped talking to me about it. I asked her why she wouldn't talk about it anymore and she said she didn't need me to take up for her but to simply listen and encourage her to continue doing her job well.

I learned something as a man and husband in that time. The men she worked with were disrespecting her as a co-worker in the field of education, not as my wife. If ever one man disrespected her or crossed the line with her as my wife believe me he would have problems. Joe is (probably) the same way. He (probably) sees that this man disrespected you as an employee/co-worker and not as a wife.

Maybe this doesn't help at all but when you post something in a world of male bloggers, you get male input. :) Don't be hard on Joe! If that man were to cross a personal line or disrespect you as his wife I bet the chef woulda gone haywire on him! haha

Mike Wilkes said...

Julie, I think Micah made some good points.

Julie, you said, "It is not a battlefield, its a business". I think you should remember that.

In all of my wife's professional career I have never gotten involved in her business. She has been taken advantage of, mistreated, had rude comments made about her and probably things I'll never know of. These were issues involving her in her work setting and she always felt she could handle it, and she has.

The only time I have ever gotten involved in any way is when one of her big bosses called her in on the carpet and chewed on her because of a family decision we had made concerning one of our kids. It had nothing to do with her career and he crossed a line. Ultimately, that family decision was made by me, so I had a meeting with him and gave him a piece of my mind.

If her co-workers are taking advantage of her work ethic and she is being dumped on, she is going to have to deal with it.

I feel as though you are making the business a personal battlefield. Do you think the man quit for the sole purpose of making you miserable? Who do you think he was focusing on when he quit, you or himself? Probably himself. Then it's not personal.

Brother Joseph said...

Both Micah and Mike has made excellent comments to your post. I ahve felt the same as them both when Sara was working in Bossier. I am pretty sure if this guy disrespects you as Joes wife or as a lady Joe will bring the Smack Down on him.

Julie Halliday said...

Ok, I have to say it, oh this is hard, ya'll are right, I'm wrong. I wasn't looking at it that way.

Although, I still wouldn't mind one bit if Joe would have gone "haywire" or gave him a "piece of his mind" or put the "smack down" on him! LOL

I have to go apologize to my husband now.